Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's coming to an end...........

Sunday night so that means Monday morning and back to work..........ho hum......the weather turned for the warmer over the weekend and made for a mess on the streets. Yuck! Trish and I went for an hour and half run on Saturday morning and between rutts, slush, puddles and snowy paths.....it was a hard run. We took a few detours so that we weren't running near the traffic. Made for some tough going I tell ya! It's funny when we are nearing the end and can see where we parked we start talking about food. But we were low on gas by now and Trish mentioned a blog called EatSpinRunRepeat. Well this Angela has some mighty tasty recipes. So we discussed a recipe Trish had seen. When I got home I would make it. OMG!

Carrot Cake Oatmeal......I know sounds weird but is it ever delish!




1/3 cup rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla Almond Breeze, or other milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
1 medium carrot, grated
1/4 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1/8 tsp all spice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 packet stevia / or 1 tsp of Splenda Brown Sugar

coarsely chopped walnuts and cinnamon (as garnish)

1. In a small saucepan, combine the oats, almond milk, and vanilla. Turn heat on to medium and cook until bubbles start to appear.


2. Next, add the grated carrot, lemon zest, stevia, and all spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes more to allow the carrots to soften a bit. (Add a little water if the mixture gets too dry.


3. Transfer to a bowl and top with additional cinnamon and chopped walnuts if desired.


Nutrition per serving (without toppings): 183 calories, 4g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 31g carbs, 5g carbs, 8g sugar, 5g protein.


When I made this I couldn't eat the whole thing so I split it in half and had the rest of it this morning. Instead of the Stevia, I replaced it with a teaspoon of Splenda Brown Sugar. So it might play with the calories a bit but not enough to worry about.

I'm thinking this will be my new breakfast meal.  But make sure you check out Angela's blog and her recipes.
I made a wreath holder today to sit on the counter and I will finish it up and show you later with it new seasonal decor. Time to count sheep.....ta.....ta........

No comments:

Post a Comment