Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

The last few days we have taken trips to Lahaina and up country to Alii Kula Lavender Farm. After spending the day at Charley Young Beach, some of us were a litte too burnt to have another beach day so we took a drive up to Lahaina. My goodness but it has grown. Far too busy for my liking, but it was interesting to look around some of the shops and the old buildings and go out to the wharf, where the ferries take you to Lanai and Molokai. It was scorching hot that day also, so the top of the car was up as my shoulders were starting to feel the burn. I went for a run on Friday and went down to Kama'ole Beach 3 which is 6km from our place and back. So it was an easy 12 Km run. I love running at sea level! Yesterday we took a drive up country to Alii Kula Lavender Farm. They grow so many kinds of lavender, French, English, Spanish, it is just gorgeous and the heady smell of lavender in the air is heavenly. I took about 80 photos but I think that would be a bit much to try and upload so some of them are on my Facebook page if your interested. But I will show you some of the nicest ones.

One of the many Buddha statues throughout the gardens
 
Para Gliding down into the fields

The owner Alii ( who recently passed away)
 
View from one of the decks




King Protea growing out of a ceramic pot

There were so many plants and cactus that I' ve never heard of growing through out the gardens. The amazing part, it is quite high up the mountain, and the temperature was only around 70F' which compared to the bottom where it was 88'F,  I was amazed at how well everything grows and they do not water. They only rely on the rainfall and it's not very much. So many of the plants are drought tolerant. Today we are going to go to Makena Beach for a few hours, and try to find Polo Beach. But we need to come back by early afternoon to watch the Canucks. They better find a way to pull a win out of their skates or the Stanley Cup contenders could be golfing sooner than you can say Aloha! Ciao for now. I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment